What is Eyelid Lift Surgery?
Eyelid Lift Surgery, otherwise referred to as “Upper-Lid Blepharoplasty”, is a surgical procedure designed to improve the appearance of the upper eyelids. The goal of an Upper-Lid Blepharoplasty is to open up the eyes and enhance a youthful appearance by removing excess tissue, bulging fat and lax muscle from the upper lids. If sagging skin is obscuring the peripheral vision, this procedure can successfully eliminate the obstruction, and expand the patient’s line of vision.
What causes droopy eyelids?
Over time, the eyelid skin stretches, fat bulges and the muscle weakens – resulting in droopy upper eyelids. At the same time, the brow can drop (referred to as “brow ptosis”), increasing a look of tiredness. Dr Sabrina is a renowned international oculoplastic surgeon and is one of London’s leading eye specialists. Her Eyelid Lift Surgery and her Brow Lift help to subtly correct the appearance of hooded eyelids and ageing brows.
How does the procedure work?
Eyelid Lift Surgery helps to refresh the eye area by removing excess skin and fat from the upper lid. To do so, we make a tiny cut, which is hidden in the natural crease of the eyelid, and then remove carefully remove the unwanted tissues. If the upper lid is droopy, the muscle that raises the lid can also be tightened. The cut is then closed with fine stitches. Eyelid Lift Surgery is performed under local anaesthetic as a day case – so you can go home the same day.
- ‘No scar’ – cut is hidden in the natural eyelid crease
- Long-lasting results – for up to 10 years
- Unrivalled expertise – performed by leading oculoplastic surgeon
Patient Questions About Eyelid Lifts And Brow Lifts
Frequently Asked Questions
How do droopy eyelids develop?
How The Peri-orbital Area Ages
What is the recovery time following Eyelid Lift Surgery?
It takes one week to recover from the initial Eyelid Lift Surgery. During that time you can go about your normal activities, though you will not be able to exercise or put your body through extraneous strain. After two weeks, the wounds will have healed significantly and the stiches will have been removed.
Read the whole treatment journey from one of Dr Sabrina’s patients here.
Will Eyelid Lift Surgery feminise male eyelids?
If correctly performed, Eyelid Lift Surgery should not make male eyes appear more feminine. Most men have naturally low brows, which are T-shaped (versus the high, arched brows of a woman), and these can cause the eyes to appear “hooded” early on. Hooded eyelids, due to sagging upper lids and brows, can affect the upper field of vision – like a horse wearing blinkers. When lifting the brow and eyes in men, it is important not to feminise their appearance and to retain their natural T-shape – and Dr Shah-Desai’s deep knowledge of anatomy allows her to achieve this.
What are the risks of Eyelid Lift Surgery?
- Infection: This is very rare; however, occasionally the stitches may become infected or inflamed. This can be swiftly settled with oral and topical antibiotics.
- Scarring: Generally, scars are hidden in the skin fold, or the inner part of the lid. Stitches are normally visible for the first week, then, when they are removed, a faint scar is visible. While the scar may seem thickened and red for 6 to 12 weeks, it will gradually become almost invisible after that period. While not every scar heals equally well, silicone scar remodelling gel can improve the appearance of a thickened or reddened scar – however, the treatment needs to be continued for several months to have a good result.
- Large bruise or haematoma: This is minimised by regular use of ice packs, avoiding heavy exercise for 2 weeks after surgery, and stopping aspirin and other anticoagulants (if safe so to do) 2 weeks pre-operatively. If you do experience a haematoma, you may have to go back into theatre to have the blood clot removed, and have your stitches redone. This runs the risk of a worse scar.
- Theoretical risk to vision: Any eyelid surgery carries the risk that an undiagnosed infection or bleed could damage the optic nerve. This is so rare that, by comparison, a normal car journey poses a much greater risk to your vision.
- “Hollow” appearance: This is rare, but can occur – usually when too much fat has been removed.
- Temporary poor blink: Generally, blinking returns to normal within 12 weeks.
- Sagging of the lower lid: This can happen as a result of scarring between the layers of the lid, or inadvertent removal of excess skin, and can alter the shape of the lower lid – and even cause watery eyes. Occasionally, this may require corrective surgery with either a skin flap/graft or a midface lift.
- Change in outer angle of lid: Often, the outer corner of the lower lid needs to be supported when performing an Upper-Lid Blepharoplasty. This can occasionally heal without maintaining the sharp outer angle of the eyelid, giving a rounded appearance, which is often challenging to rectify.
About Dr Sabrina Shah-Desai MS, FRCS
Dr Sabrina Shah-Desai is a distinguished oculoplastic surgeon and one of London’s leading eye specialists. She has over two decades of surgical experience and is renowned for her ability to create a natural look.
Dr Sabrina has a deep anatomical knowledge of the periorbital area and an appreciation for the differences in treating both men and women. When raising the brows and eyelids in a male Upper-Lid Blepharoplasty, it is important to preserve the T-shaped brow – in order not to feminise their appearance.
Eyelid And Brow Lift Treatment Reviews
What beauty experts have to say
“For anyone that’s losing sleep about the state of their eyes, Sabrina Shah-Desai (a powerhouse ocular plastic surgeon) is the person to see to put things right. Her treatments are super refined, undetectable and all done with the lightest touch.”Brides Magazine
“I had a very positive experience. She provided me with relevant pictures of what to expect post surgery which was very useful. Her post op information was clear and easy to follow. She came across as a very caring and confident practitioner. The outcome she described before surgery was realistic and she skilfully performed this.”
“I would like to express how happy I am with the results of my upper blepharoplasty. My eyes have healed really well and I am already getting compliments on how perfect they look! I would like to thank Mrs Sabrina Shah-Desai for her time, caring attitude and excellent results.”
“I've been wanting to have upper & lower lid surgery for some years. I have hereditary heavy eyelids, tea troughs & also bags under my eyes. I'm constantly told I'm looking tired! I researched a lot of surgeons & finally came across Sabrina Shah-Desai through a recommendation from an aesthetic nurse.”
“I feel that I've found my 'face doctor' and that is as valuable to me as the happiness I feel when I look in the mirror. Thanks too to Abi who was on hand during my recovery. She has a kind and caring nature and was on call the whole time during my recovery to give me the reassurance that I occasionally needed.”
“By far the best experience I have ever had with a doctor! Mrs Shah Desai is so professional, knowledgable and thorough with her approach and at the same time so kind, warm and friendly. I highly recommend her for any kind of surgery in the eye area.... I had a very fast and smooth recovery and I am so pleased with the results!”
“I've had very heavy set eyes for the last 10 years that's aged me and decided that I now wanted to have treatment to help this problem. At consultation with Sabrina I felt confedent about suggested treatment for me. I had Blepharoplasty which was almost pain free and am so happy with my results.”